Sunday 8 April 2007

#2 Forget the faff, just give me a facial...

There are those who subscribe to the gentle, faffy, smelly breed of facial – myriad oils, soft tapping fingers, Enya-esque music – and then there are those who consider such gentle and cosseting carefulness to be deeply annoying. I’m firmly rooted in the second camp. A facial for me, should signify a great extraction, fantastic exfoliation, a premium mask and a thorough cleanse. Anything else is pointless. I’ve had hot stones placed on my temples, electric rollers all over my face, five different face masks in 45 minutes, aromatherapy steam inhalation – all of it perfectly acceptable, but none of it was doing what I wanted – improving my skin. The best facial I’d ever had – prior to all of these jingly jangly ones – was the Face Mapping Treatment at Leonard Drake. But last year, Leonard Drake closed down and never reopened and I was left bereft and questing after a new alternative. Thankfully, late last year, the new Dermalogica Skin Centre opened in it’s place. I visited last week and had the customised Face Mapping Facial, where every individual receives a thorough, expert skin analysis and is then treated to a tailormade treatment. My skin was unbalanced, simultaneously oily and dry, a bit spotty and rather lacklustre – in my defence, I’d had a hard week with only 20 hours sleep in five days. Within an hour – and I am never prone to exaggeration – it was satin-soft, clear, glowing and as moist as a saturated sponge. The next day I didn’t even need to bother with base – mission accomplished. Dermalogica, 8 Lancer Sq, 0800 345 7546

CHEAP THRILLS
Up until the end of April, Dermalogica are running FREE skincare classes. Taught by professionals, with skin analysis and expert guidance, they’re holding everything from Spot Fighting Solutions to Ageing Skin seminars. Best of all, every attendee receives a free skincare kit… such generosity!
(0800 345 7546)

WINK WINK
NYLON beauty director Fiorella Valdesolo has just launched her first book, PRETTY. It's penned in the same wry, witty style that Valdesolo’s become famous for and expands on the magazine’s popular Beauty Queen premise – taking icons from past and present, quirky and classic alike – and celebrating their unique style. Forget soporific step-by-steps – this is the first beauty book that breaks the rules: it’s good-looking and good reading.

No comments: