Sunday 16 December 2007

#57 Beauty Duty

It's late. It's been too long. I've missed this. I'm sorry for the silence.
Here, with no waffle - unheard of for me - is my current hit & miss list:

UPPERS


Uriage Stick Levres. Discovered at a French pharmacy - smells like a mix between Chapstick original and Chapstick Cherry, but with a far more moisturising, long-lasting, pleasing texture. Smiles.

Botanics Organics Jojoba Body Oil & Laidbare Body Oil. I've been putting on three coats a day - which you can, as they're both pleasingly inexpensive - the former has no scent (no essential oils) - just simple, fuss-free, skin-softening power; the latter is yummily-scented with essential oils, but also contains five EFA rich oils including Rosehip and Evening Primrose. This is the softest my skin's been in any winter in living memory.


DOWNERS


Not loving the Liz Earle Brightening Mask. It might give an instant perk-up, but I always seem to look oilier the next day. Hmmmm.


Dermalogica Soothing Eye Make-Up Remover
.
Is it just me, or does this make anyone else's eyes sore? The viscousy gel always gets into my eyes - I prefer liquids - and I'm yet to be left with refreshed, soothed peepers.

And while we're on the subject of Dermalogica, I've also recently had a bad reaction to their Climate Control Lip Therapy. Lips felt more sore and became slightly swollen after repeated use. Uh Oh. This is the second bad reaction I've had to their products - the Body Cream brings me out in the most appalling, bumpy, red, raised angry rash - can't touch the stuff. It smells rather vile too. Despite this, several of their skincare products are eternal favourites (I heart Total Eye Care & Daily Microfoliant) - which has taught me never to expect great results from every product in a promising line.

You win some, you lose some.
You might get a bit messed up along the way (blotchy, rather than pillowy lips did not invite Mr M's late-night attentions), but hey, it's all the line of duty.

3 comments:

Gervy said...

I had a Dermalogica facial at Calmia in Marylebone High St before my wedding. My first and only facial to date (I've always been too scared they'd make me break out). But she had to stop the facial halfway through because my skin reacted to the products, becoming red and bumpy.

What do you think are the best products for facials?

Miss Malcontent said...

Since writing this blog I've had several people reiterate your exact experience - it seems that Dermalogica is the holy grail to some, and makes a holy mess of others skin. Having reacted to their body products, I was concerned about using their skincare, but have to say, their Hydrating Mask, Daily Microfoliant and Total Eye Care are my absolute essentials. Re. facials, in truth, I've not had a mindblowing treatment in a long time. To date, the best facials I've ever had, were with Guinot and Chantecaille. They were both extremely thorough and made a long-lasting difference to my skin. I've tried Elemis, Eve Lom, Espa, La Prairie, Aromatherapy Associates, Dr Haushcka, Amanda Lacey... many many facials - and did not book in again for any of them. Recently, several friends have converted to the French skincare brand Yon-Ka - their new spa flagship is in Kensington - and have raved about their facials. I have one booked in for next week, so will let you know how I get on.

Gervy said...

Thank you very much for the tips. Will investigate those Dermalogica products and Guinot & Chantecaille facials...