Thursday 7 May 2009

#93 Spiez-Less

So, I ran out of my Saaf cleanser last week just as the lovely Spiezia PR sent one of hers for me to trial, in preparation for a big summer skincare story. It's been over a year since I used this and I had quite honestly forgotten how bloody brilliant it is. Shame on me. Going back to it has also made me realise that, as far as my skin is concerned, it's even better than Saaf - I know, I know - as Spiezia's formula contains purifying eucalyptus, clove and clary sage, along with calming chamomile. In fact, thinking about it, I realised that the smell reminded me of Eve Lom's infamous cleanser (the true MARMITE of cleansers), which also employs clove, chamomile and eucalyptus, but, worryingly, La Lom's formula includes more mineral oil and lanolin than any of the above (yep, Eve Lom's concoction is about as 'pure' as a Turkey Twizzler). The fact is, I used Eve Lom for almost four years - I was a raving loony for the stuff - and had pretty perfect skin the entire time, but the moment I stopped using it my face went entirely, incontrovertibly bonkers for several months - and when I tried to go back to it, well, I have never, ever known breakouts like it. I am not the first, nor shall I be the last, person to experience such Jekyll & Hyde reactions on this stuff...

So, back to Spiezia, which has never caused my complexion to crack up... and the best things about this version of the now-ubiquitous oil-balm cleanser?

1) A surprisingly small amount will thoroughly coat, then cleanse, the entire face (I definitely needed more of the Saaf to get the same results)...
2) It smells clean, simple and soothing
3) It can be taken off with the floral water OR a warm cloth, so unlike most balm cleansers, you can choose between buffing or wiping away
4) Given its calming & purifying blend, it's the ideal choice for spot-prone and congested skins. Saaf, on the other hand, might be better for drier, mature complexions.
5) It can be left on the skin to act as a deep-cleansing mask too, without any irritation whatsoever. I prefer to cleanse then buff away the day's grime with the first application, then rub another very thin layer over my face and hop into the shower, letting the second dose get to work by itself. I then remove this second layer with the Spiezia Floral Skin Toner. Try this once or twice a week.

Piez of cake.

2 comments:

Cal said...

I adore Spiezia cleanser - how lovely to find an expert agrees!

(PS Came here via LLG!)

Semi Permanent Make Up said...

I appreciate it very much, at least I know from it someone is reading the contents I have here.